Simple practical solutions are needed to improve sustainable living options. This should be addressed by taking into account the economical, social and environmental aspects of the situation.
Our main services include the following:
- Sustainability Team Support
- Project Management
- Training and Capacity Building
- Sustainability Reporting
- Event Greening
SUSTAINABILITY TEAM SUPPORT
The driving force behind any change is usually a small team of dedicated people. Reality is that this team is often required to do their day job while juggling ways to encourage other staff to “do the right thing”. Although there is no lack of passion, there is often insufficient budget and staff capacity.
We can provide support to your company’s green team; from establishing an environmental policy or implementing monitoring systems through to writing sustainability reports. Services are adapted to suite your needs.
Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has – Magaret Mead
We recognise the African proverb that “when you pray, you need to move your feet”. As such we encourage action and are in a position to assist with professional project management, implementation and support.
We believe this must be done in an interactive manner where participation, effective communication and constant monitoring are essential principles. Capacity building should also be a core part of project management through mentoring and providing clear leadership.
TRAINING AND CAPACITY BUILDING
We recognise that people implement change and we feel it is critical that people understand why they need to do things differently and what they can do to make a difference. It is a fine balance between awareness and behavior of the individual, while influencing the cultural and systems of the collective, as based on the integral theory of Ken Wilber.
We do training and awareness raising on topics such as event greening, sustainable living at the office and home, as well as other related topics that are essential to ensure that the individual can realise the impact of all the different impacts of our actions.
Click on training for information about our next scheduled training course.
If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it. By reporting on your progress year on year you can measure your progress and allow for sector related comparisons. Sustainability reporting is more than just a legal requirement for big business, but it is a management tool for any business or event that is serious about their future.
We compile sustainability reports for business based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework, with a strong focus on working with the sustainability teams to ensure that they have the systems in place for ongoing reporting.
The importance of sustainable event management has been recognised both locally and internationally. Many events, large and small, are striving to reduce their negative environmental impact. With South Africa being a prime tourist destination we look at ways in which to reduce the negative environmental impact of large events and strengthen the positive social impact.
We provide support to ensure that your event is hosted in a sustainable manner, from the planning through to implementation. We can also do an eco audit or carbon footprint for your event to reduce the long-term impact through reduction and offsetting.
The following principles are implemented to reduce the eco footprint of an event:
- Sustainable Procurement
- Waste Reduction – Avoid, Reduce, Re-use and Recycle
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency and Climate Change
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Poverty Alleviation
- Participation and Communication
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Some of our services relating to event greening include:
- Develop a greening strategy and guidelines for an event or venue
- Provide guidance around sustainable procurement, with access to environmentally friendly products and service providers, with a focus on locally manufactured products
- Do audits on venues to determine cleaner production principles that need to be implemented (waste, water and energy)
- Provide assistance and guidance for waste minimisation through on-site recycling and composting options, working with waste management service providers
- Provide assistance around re-use and recycling of products related to the event
- Provide guidance around transport options for event participants
- Do on-site monitoring and evaluation, including interviews with participants to get their feedback
- Provide awareness raising through newsletters, exhibition and other methods
- Do training of staff to ensure active participation in event greening
- Determine the environmental footprint of the event and how this can be reduced / off-set
- Implement a legacy project linked to the event
- Continuous monitoring and evaluation of the process, with lessons learnt for future events
We are a proud member of the Event Greening Forum and have been actively involved in the establishment and implementation of the Forum since its establishment. Visit the forum website for more information and resources on event greening practices and principles.